Vegetable Stew with Tofu
This flexible, affordable and easy to prepare dish is popular in rural areas and enjoyed by both landlord and tenants at mealtime.
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 11/2 teaspoons fish paste (bagoong balayan)
- 1 cup (100 g) butternut squash or pumpkin, cubed
- 1/2 cup (50 g) fresh or frozen fava beans
- 1 cup (250 ml) water
- 1/2 cake (4 oz/125 g) pressed tofu, sliced and fried
- 1/2 small zucchini (125 g), sliced
- 5 cups (8 oz/250 g) spinach or water spinach, washed and drained (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
2 Add the tofu and zucchini slices, and simmer until the squash and zucchini are tender, about 10 minutes.
3 Add the spinach, if using, and cook for another 3 minutes, or until the leaves are wilted. Season with the salt and serve.
Preparation time: 25 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins