Kinilaw Na Tanguigue
This excellent appetizer is similar to Spanish ceviche—raw fish and shellfish “cooked” in vinegar and lime juice, and seasoned with spices. The kalamansi lime juice, garlic, tomatoes and ginger give this dish a wonderfully fresh flavor.
- 1 lb (500 g) mackerel, sea bass, grouper or salmon fillets
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) Filipino vinegar (suka) or apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons kalamansi lime juice or lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 medium onion, minced
- 2 small tomatoes, diced
- 1 in (21/2 cm) fresh young ginger, minced
- 1 bell pepper, deseeded, halved and cut into thin strips
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Onion, thinly sliced, to garnish
1 Clean the fish fillets and cut them into strips. Marinate the fish in the vinegar for an hour, then drain and discard the marinade.
2 Add the kalamansi lime or lemon juice and all the other ingredients to the fish. Toss lightly to mix and coat well.
3 Transfer to a bowl and chill in the refrigerator until ready to eat. Garnish with onion slices and serve.
Preparation time: 30 mins