Fish Soup with Vegetables
The success of this simple fish soup depends on the freshness of the fish and the ginger.
- 3 cups (750 ml) rice water or water
- 2 in (5 cm) fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon peppercorns, cracked
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1/2 small green cabbage, quartered
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (patis)
- 11/2 lbs (750 g) fresh fish fillets (catfish, grouper or tilapia), cut into serving slices
- 1 bunch lettuce or leafy greens, cut into pieces (optional)
- 1 baby leek or 2 spring onions, sliced, to garnish
- 1 portion Miso Tomato Sauce
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 Boil the rice water, ginger and peppercorns for 5 minutes. Add the onion and cabbage, and simmer for 3 minutes.
3 Add the oil, salt, fish sauce and ground pepper, and boil for another 2 minutes. Reduce the heat, add the fish and green vegetables, and simmer for 10 minutes.
4 Ladle the stew into a large serving bowl, garnish with leek or spring onions and serve with the Miso Tomato Sauce on the side.
Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins