Vegetable Medley with Pork and Bagoong
This favorite dish of the Ilocanos in the north is flavored with pork and pungent bagoong or fermented shrimp.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 12 oz (350 g) pork, cubed
- 21/2 in (6 cm) ginger, cubed
- 4 ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon fermented baby shrimp (bagoong alamang)
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) water
- 14 oz (400 g) Asian eggplants (about
- 2–3 eggplants), cut into strips
- 3 small bitter melons (bitter gourd)(about 9 oz/275 g total) or
- 1 small zucchini, soft center and seeds discarded, cut into strips
- 6 okras (about 31/2 oz/100 g), caps discarded, stems halved
- 10 French beans, cut into lengths
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
2 Add the ginger and tomatoes, and stir-fry for another 5 minutes. Then, add the fermented shrimp and stir-fry for 3 minutes.
3 Add the water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes until the pork is tender. Add the eggplants, bitter melons, okras and beans, reduce the heat and allow to simmer for another 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper if desired. Serve immediately.
Preparation time: 25 mins
Cooking time: 45 mins