Chicken and Pork Adobo
Adobong Manok at Baboy
There are many versions of the ever-popular adobo; this one is from Joel Fabay at the Manila Hotel. It combines chicken and pork with vinegar and a hearty helping of garlic.
- 1 lb (500 g) pork, cut into chunks
- 1 bulb garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons Filipino vinegar (suka) or apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 11/2 cups (375 ml) water
- 8 oz (250 g) boneless chicken, cubed
- 1 portion Green Papaya Pickles
1 Prepare the Green Papaya Pickles.
2 Combine the pork, garlic, onion, soy sauce, vinegar, pepper, bay leaves and water in a pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the pork is partially cooked, about 10 minutes.
3 Add the chicken and simmer for another 20 minutes, until both the pork and chicken are cooked. Remove from the heat and serve on a large platter with a bowl of the pickles on the side.
Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 35 mins