Chicken Simmered in Tomatoes and Pimentos
Chicken Afritada is another popular Filipino dish. Basically, it is cooked in tomato sauce with carrots, potatoes and bell peppers as the main vegetables. Some prefer to add green peas and hot dogs as well. Another variation will use both pork and chicken or will use just pork. I like my afritada simple and easy, with just the basic vegetables.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 chicken (2 lbs/1 kg), cut into serving pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 lb (500 g) ripe tomatoes, diced or
- one 14-oz (400-g) can whole peeled tomatoes, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/2–1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 11/2 cups (375 ml) water
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup (125 g) pimentos, drained or
- 1 large red bell pepper, deseeded and diced
2 Return the chicken to the saucepan, add the tomatoes, bay leaves, salt, pepper and water, and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes.
3 Add the potatoes and simmer for 15 minutes, then add the pimentos and simmer for another 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and serve immediately.
Preparation time: 25 mins
Cooking time: 35 mins