Green Papaya Pickles
This Indian-influenced relish is a favorite in the Philippines. Served as a side dish to accompany fried and broiled fish or meat.
- 1/2 unripe papaya (about 10 oz/300 g)
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) Filipino vinegar(suka) or apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup (100 g) sugar
- 11/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 small carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 small green or red bell pepper, cut into matchsticks
- 1 in (21/2 cm) ginger, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons raisins
1 Peel and grate the papaya into thin strips. Place the strips in a muslin cloth and squeeze out as much of the water from the papaya as possible. Then place the strips on a wide platter to dry in the sun.
2 Bring the vinegar, sugar and salt to a boil in a large saucepan. Add the papaya strips and simmer for 5 minutes.
3 Add the rest of the ingredients and stir to mix. Cover the saucepan, turn off the heat and set aside to cool.
4 Transfer the cooled pickles to a sterilized jar or bottle.
Keeps for a month in the refrigerator.
Makes 21/2 cups (625 ml)
Preparation time: 50 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins